As a homeowner, cleaning out the gutters is a frequent chore that needs to be done throughout the year. Clean gutters help protect the integrity of the roof, walls, and foundation of your home by allowing precipitation to be funneled away from the house. However, getting up onto the roof to clean out those gutters can be difficult at best and a safety hazard at worst.
Our gutter experts at LeafGuard explain safe gutter cleaning tips and how installing new gutters with gutter protection can save you time and reduce your risk of injury.
- Use the right ladder. An extension ladder is necessary for a split level or two story home, while a four-step shorter ladder is all that is needed for a single story house.
- Make sure the ladder is safe to use. Before placing it on the ground, make sure the ground is level and firm. If it’s not, put some plywood under the ladder to stabilize it.
- Wear leather or suede work gloves to protect your hands during the cleaning process.
- Wear a face mask and protective eyewear to protect yourself from insects and vermin that might be living in the gutter debris.
- If you need to climb onto the roof, only do it when the roof is dry. Wear soft rubber soled shoes to avoid causing roof damage and to prevent slipping.
- Have a spotter while working on the roof and during your ascent and descent on the ladder.
- Use a plastic scoop to collect debris from the gutters. Attach a collection bucket to the ladder with a rope.
At LeafGuard, we offer gutter protection and new gutters so that you can put the dangerous gutter cleaning chore to an end. Our system is efficient and effective at keeping all types of debris out of your gutters so that they will last longer and you can put your time to better use.
For more information about our protective gutter system or to schedule installation for new gutters, call us today at 1-888-4-CLOGFREE.